COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Safety
Travel Safe on UP Express
Please don’t ride public transit if you’re sick.
Protect yourself and others by wearing a face covering.
Wash your hands regularly. If you can’t, please use hand sanitizer.
Buy your ticket online, use a TVM in station, or use PRESTO contactless by tapping your PRESTO card or personal credit card or mobile wallet from phone or watch on an UP Express PRESTO payment device to pay for your fare before boarding the train. Don’t forget to load money onto your PRESTO card using the PRESTO App to avoid lining up at the station.
Keep a safe distance and stay 2 metres (6 feet) apart, when possible.
- Work diligently to ensure that our stations and trains uphold the highest in cleanliness and hygiene standards.
- Receive regular health screening.
- Protect you and others by wearing a face covering and practicing physical distancing at work.
- Now available! CleanSlate UV machines to sanitize your electronic gadgets such as smartphone, tablet, and other non-porous items such as your pen, keys, and your PRESTO card! This device has the power of UV light to kill up to 99.99% of germs. UP Express customers can use CleanSlate UV machines free at UP Union Station and Pearson Station.
- Purchase our limited edition reusable face coverings at the UP service counter at Union Station. Individually wrapped in a resealable package, choose from five fun designs for kids and adults for just $7.50 each plus tax. $2 from each sale will be donated to United Way. Visit the Metrolinx News blog to check out the designs and to learn more.
- If you are travelling through Union Station, a Health and Safety kiosk is available in the York Concourse. There, you’ll find interactive stations where you can take your temperature, test your hands for germs, and more.
- Frequent deep cleaning—including the use of specialized HEPA vacs—which remove the droplets which transmit COVID-19.
- All vehicles and high-touch areas in stations receive the application of a long-acting antimicrobial germ protecting barrier.
- Immediately closing a station—or taking a vehicle out of service for sanitization—in cases where a person with COVID-19 has been on the premises/onboard.
- Installed polycarbonate screens on service counters in all stations to protect both customers and staff.
- Seat dividers have been installed on trains as an added safety barrier between you and the person next to you.
- A new convenient option is now available for you to purchase face coverings, disposal gloves, hand sanitizers, or touchless keychains from a vending machine located in the SkyWalk, as part of a pilot.
- Touchless payment options – such as buying ticket in advance, using a TVM, or using PRESTO card and contactless payment i.e. credit card or mobile wallet on phone or watch. Please don't forget to tap on and off designated UP PRESTO devices.
- Hand sanitizing dispensers at all stations and at the entry zone of each train.
- We have installed signs and decals throughout the UP Stations at Union and Pearson Airport to help guide customers. Customers will now see floor decals at the service counters, ticket vending machines and inside elevators.
- Providing hands-on assistance only if needed.
Schedule Changes & Alerts
Starting Monday, April 5, most weekday UP Express schedules will be adjusted to accommodate platform construction work at Weston Station. Trips will depart 15 minutes later.
On weekdays, the first morning trip from Union Station will remain the same and continue to depart there at 4:55 a.m. The first trip from Pearson Station will now depart 15 minutes later at 5:42 a.m. and times at all stops will also be 15 minutes later. The last evening trip will now depart Union Station 15 minutes later at 10:15 p.m. The last evening trip will now depart Pearson Station 15 minutes later at 10:42 p.m. All other trips throughout the day will also depart 15 minutes later.
Please check the revised schedules prior to travelling: Union, Bloor, Weston, and Pearson.
- When riding with us, we’ve made face covering mandatory. We’ve also made it mandatory for our staff to wear one on the job. It’s part of our commitment to protect you. They’re essential to keeping everyone safe on transit. That said, we ask for your understanding as not everyone can wear face coverings for health or personal reasons.
- Yes, we’ve installed hand sanitizer dispensers in all UP Express trains and all UP Express stations.
- Buy your tickets before you board, online at upexpress.com, or with the UP mobile app. You can also pay for your UP Express fare by tapping your PRESTO card, credit card or mobile wallet on an UP Express PRESTO fare payment device before boarding the train. You can load your PRESTO card instantly using the PRESTO mobile app. With PRESTO, you can set up Autoload so your PRESTO card automatically loads when your balance drops below a dollar amount you choose. For more information, please visit https://www.prestocard.ca/en
- Your safety is our first priority, and UP Express is still the best connection between Pearson and downtown Toronto. Toronto Pearson Airport is also committed to taking all measures necessary to ensure the health and safety of all passengers and their employees. To learn more about their enhanced measures and new safety processes, please visit https://www.torontopearson.com/en/healthy-airport.
- As outlined by Health Canada under the Quarantine Act, anyone returning to Canada from abroad experiencing COVID-19 symptoms is not permitted on public transit. They must immediately go to their place of isolation using private transportation only. For more information on this, see Government of Canada Travel Advice.
- Yes, the Meeter & Greeter Return ticket is still available and it can be purchased right here online. Pearson Airport recently implemented new initiatives and processes to ensure a safe and healthy airport environment. New policies may include “meeters and greeters” to wait outside of the terminals as terminal access is restricted only to travelling passengers, as well as airport employees on duty. With that, before purchasing a Meeter & Greeter ticket, please check the Pearson Airport website and refer to their healthy airport commitment page for more information.
- Yes, onboard UP Express washrooms will continue to be open and are regularly cleaned.