COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Safety
It’s our top priority to keep you healthy and safe every time you travel with us.
Find out more about the coronavirus safety measures we’ve put in place to keep our passengers and employees safe when travelling on UP Express.
We've stepped up cleaning on our trains and in our stations, focusing on 30+ high touchpoint areas throughout your journey.
Service changes may occur during this time to ensure your safety. Plan ahead and get the latest UP Express schedules and service updates for Union, Bloor, Weston, and Pearson station.
Have questions about UP Express? Read our FAQ about UP Express COVID-19 Health & Safety Precautions.
Travel Safe on UP Express
Ready to ride UP Express again? We're here for you. We’ve stepped up cleaning and implemented 40+ new safety measures, which are guided by public health officials. Let’s take care of each other. These changes will help all of us stay healthy and safe.
Some simple steps to keep everyone safe:
Please don’t ride public transit if you’re sick.
Protect yourself and others by wearing a face covering.
Wash your hands regularly. If you can’t, please use hand sanitizer.
Keep a safe distance and stay 2 metres (6 feet) apart, when possible.
You can count on our front-line team to:
- Work diligently to ensure that our stations and trains uphold the highest in cleanliness and hygiene standards.
- Receive regular health screening.
- Protect you and others by wearing a face covering and practicing physical distancing at work.
COVID-19 (coronavirus) safety measures on our UP Express trains, platforms, and in stations:
- Now available! Purchase our limited edition reusable face coverings at the UP service counter at Union Station. Individually wrapped in a resealable package, choose from five fun designs for kids and adults for just $7.50 each plus tax. $2 from each sale will be donated to United Way. Visit the Metrolinx News blog to check out the designs and to learn more.
- If you are travelling through Union Station, a Health and Safety kiosk is available in the York Concourse. There, you’ll find interactive stations where you can take your temperature, test your hands for germs, and more.
- Frequent deep cleaning—including the use of specialized HEPA vacs—which remove the droplets which transmit COVID-19.
- All vehicles and high-touch areas in stations receive the application of a long-acting antimicrobial germ protecting barrier.
- Immediately closing a station—or taking a vehicle out of service for sanitization—in cases where a person with COVID-19 has been on the premises/onboard.
- Installed polycarbonate screens on service counters in all stations to protect both customers and staff.
- A new convenient option is now available for you to purchase face coverings, disposal gloves, hand sanitizers, or touchless keychains from a vending machine located in the SkyWalk, as part of a pilot.
- Touchless payment options – such as buying ticket in advance, using a TVM, or using PRESTO. Please don't forget to tap on and off designated UP PRESTO devices.
- Rolling out hand sanitizing dispensers at all stations and at the entry zone of each train.
- We have installed signs and decals throughout the UP Stations at Union and Pearson Airport to help guide customers. Customers will now see floor decals at the service counters, ticket vending machines and inside elevators.
- Providing hands-on assistance only if needed.
Enhanced Cleaning Measures
At UP Express, we are committed to your health and safety. We've increased cleaning on our UP Express trains and in our stations because a safe journey is a clean one. On top of our already frequent cleaning schedule, we’re also focusing 30+ high touchpoint areas throughout your trip and disinfecting them multiple times a day. Take a look at what else we’re doing to keep our trains and stations clean:
Upcoming COVID-19 Safety Measures:
Watch this area for the latest updates.
- Seat dividers will be rolling out on trains later this month as an added safety barrier between you and the person next to you.
- Over the coming months, we’re adding even more hand sanitizing dispensers on trains and in stations to ensure they’re always available for you.
- Health and Safety pop-up kiosks will be introduced at Bloor and Weston stations in the next coming months, to provide UP Express customers information and tools necessary to stay safe.
Schedule Changes & Alerts
If you have questions, we’re here to help. Get the latest info in our FAQ.
- When riding with us, we’ve made face covering mandatory. We’ve also made it mandatory for our staff to wear one on the job. It’s part of our commitment to protect you. They’re essential to keeping everyone safe on transit. That said, we ask for your understanding as not everyone can wear face coverings for health or personal reasons.
- We’ll be installing hand sanitizer dispensers in all UP Express trains over the next coming months. Hand sanitizer dispensers are installed at all UP Express stations.
- Buy your tickets before you board, online at upexpress.com, or with the UP mobile app, or load your PRESTO card instantly using the PRESTO mobile app. With PRESTO, you can set up Autoload so your PRESTO card automatically loads when your balance drops below a dollar amount you choose. For more information, please visit https://www.prestocard.ca/en
I’ll be arriving at Toronto Pearson International Airport and need to get to downtown Toronto. Is UP Express safe to ride?
- Your safety is our first priority, and UP Express is still the best connection between Pearson and downtown Toronto. Toronto Pearson Airport is also committed to taking all measures necessary to ensure the health and safety of all passengers and their employees. To learn more about their enhanced measures and new safety processes, please visit https://www.torontopearson.com/en/healthy-airport/healthy-passengers.
What is the Quarantine Act that has been put in place for travellers arriving at Pearson and/or returning to Canada in general?
- As outlined by Health Canada under the Quarantine Act, anyone returning to Canada from abroad experiencing COVID-19 symptoms is not permitted on public transit. They must immediately go to their place of isolation using private transportation only. For more information on this, see Government of Canada Travel Advice.
My brother’s flight from Calgary will be arriving in Toronto this evening and I’d love to surprise and meet him at the Arrivals. Is UP Express Meeter & Greeter ticket still available to purchase? And how and where can I purchase a ticket?
- Yes, the Meeter & Greeter Return ticket is still available and it can be purchased right here online. Pearson Airport recently implemented new initiatives and processes to ensure a safe and healthy airport environment. New policies may include “meeters and greeters” to wait outside of the terminals as terminal access is restricted only to travelling passengers, as well as airport employees on duty. With that, before purchasing a Meeter & Greeter ticket, please check the Pearson Airport website and refer to their healthy airport commitment page for more information.
- Yes, onboard UP Express washrooms will continue to be open and are regularly cleaned.